Tuesday, August 23, 2005

Gettin' Aquainted

Heather is so friendly!(the boss) She hugged me when she first saw me! After reading those books on Taiwanese culture and not touching and not publicly etc etc it was the last thing I expected. But she really is just so nice and emphasized again the 'land of convenience'. The TESCO is open 24 hours and 2 blocks from my apartment. She wants to teach us Mandarin so the parents can speak to us.
Another new teacher, Sarah, just arrived Thursday and starts observing tomorrow. So my new roommates are Tasha and Sarah. They seem awfully nice and friendly. Plus Tasha does the Canadian 'hey?' at the end of sentences!! It's pretty awesome. I can get anything I really want - TESCO bakery, 7-11, even McDonalds, but Tasha seems to hate t'he kitchen and declares she never eats at home, and Heather already wants to take me out to dinner. For those that dont know - umm I dont eat meat, or vegetables, no hot liquids, baked fruit etc etc, some might call me picky, others fully attack with an obsessive compulsive accusation, whatever, it just happened. However, something else my adorable books taught me, it's rude to refuse food and a cultural faux pas - their way of saying hello and asking how you are translates to 'have you eaten yet?'. sigh. Well, I certainly can't eat it all. I guess I'll just try to do what the book says - sample everything and praise it - and hope this tactic will cover the fact that the amount of food I've eaten is minimal. Not eating meat will get me out of loads of trouble I can tell right now - but get me into so much more. But who knows? Maybe they'll understand and think 'silly foreigner'. And really, if this is my onlyproblem, I think I'm doing damn well.
I need to unpack and go buy things, try out my laptop connection. All the travel has exhausted me. My room is quite cute and lovely - I'm sure my stuff will change that :)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home