Sunday, June 11, 2006

Ahh! India!

Terrificially overwhelming, India's largest and most modern city has me facing some issues. Mumbai/Bombay is the dirtiest thing I've ever experienced. period. I've cut my nails, bought a large supply of portable wet wipes, considered taking the pill to cancel my period so I won't have to deal with it in combination with the toilet system here, watch every step I take on the sidewalk in less touristy areas, and truly understand the ancient implications of having someone wash your feet (why? bc they're oh so dirty. mrrr I also stepped in cow poo today. ewww). I expected the dirtiness, I tried to prepare for the dirtiness, and yet.... still shocked to find it soooo dirty.
The dirtiness is combined with heat and humidity so intense I sense that if I'm not careful, I will become one with the puddle. Rarely have I experienced such longings for shade, breeze,and water; add in some A/C, you're reaching idol status. If the British tried again with India, I think all they would have to do is promise wide distribution of A/C and it would be a sure deal.
Ironically one of the first things I thought the night I arrived here was an empirialistic "Well no wonder the British left: Indians refuse to do anything in an orderly manner, and it's hot and dirty. No questions." I've thought a lot about the British lately as many of the tourist spots here are old British buildings, or built in honor of the British. South Mumbai with all its historic buildings is my favorite part of the city right now. The buildings actually bring me a sense of peace, a return to what know I suppose, but truly beautiful. I will see beautiful Indian buildings as well, and hopefully their architecture will inspire the same variety of relaxation in my mind.
The works of India are the greatest assets here. I find little charm in the country at the moment, but the works its citizens have produced often leave me in wonderment. My first place to visit was Elephanta Island, an island in Mumbai Harbour with a temple carved out of solid stone, making essentially a cave temple. It is very large in scale and very intricately done and just beautiful. It has pillars and columns and deities and rooms within housing more stone statues. I'm astounding by the number of people here but I realize that it sometimes takes an extravagant amount of time and people to create such beautiful things. I think of the Taj Mahal and I know it is the same concept.
At some point, people are said to fall in love with Mumbai, and indeed India as well. The logic flows that the best and worst of humanity are here, with many people and poverty and limited space. I hope I can jump the hurdle of the initial shock of my first encounter with a third-world country to truly appreciate all that India has to offer.
We shall see. Wish me luck!
Pictures will be added soon, I'm not on my computer so there's an added level of difficulty in this but it .. should happen. :D

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home