Friday, August 25, 2006

Picture


What is it that makes the subject in this picture appear to my senses to be so vulnerable? I argue that it is not the actual bruises, but the positioning and intent of the body. The hand wrapped around the waist, the bent neck, the head tucking into the shoulder and crook of the arm, and the uncertain knowledge of how the picture will turn out, what it will capture, because it is taken blindly, with only the hand to do the work of eyes.

But mostly the bent neck. Here is where Japanese culture really has had an impact on me. Heads bent in shame. I always get the irrational notion that a samarai sword will soon end their lives. It makes me think bent necks are very vulnerable.

And uh, oh yeah, the bruises.

Haha - boy so white!

Thanks to Matt for the pictures, taken in the aftermath of the fun-fun glass suction-cup massage of the East.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home