Monday, July 17, 2006

Flashpoint

Danger and drama, so rare for the serene environment of the quiet place I live that it comes in miniature form, and is often mocked when I relate it as high excitement.
But it must be so. There was excitement this morning. :D
Setup the scene - My father and I are inside at the kitchen table, sipping our hot tea (mmm). My mother is outside with the two cats filling up birdbaths and water fountains.
All of a sudden, seemingly out of nowhere, comes a goliath dog, out to chase things and happy to turn them into his new chew toys. Inside, insulated, I probably wouldn't have noticed much except the swift and noticable actions of my mother drew my attention. She instantly slung down the hose and started running for the door, calling the cats to her. A running woman never fails to catch a dog's attention and Poncho (silly but great name for a dog) steered his course to run up to her. Ziggy, in line with my mother, was swift of paws and so made it to my mother before the dog. She scooped him up, simultaneously opening the door, tossing him inside and swiftly closing it. She turned around immediately and put her hands down to block/pet the dog at her heels. Now comes the time for Annie to make her break. She had been stranded in the garden area, cut off from the door. Now with the dog past her she streaks across the patio and runs up a wall to the deck while my mother attempts to restrain Poncho and keep him occupied. Both cats are now safely inside, in a 3 second time-span in which I didn't even have time to stand up. Hero of the day - my mum. ;)
Though Poncho is normally just a big, goofy dog who likes to bound around very happy-go-lucky and escape his pen every other week or so, my parents still fear his strength and ability to decimate a pair of small felines. Rightly so. I grew up with a theory of prevention. It was strongly enforced in High School by observation and a very insistent theatre director - thanks Mr. Wyatt.
My cats went into hiding for a while, but came out eventually and regained a little of their character that was intact before they were scared witless. I think though, that they have probably had enough outside time for today.
Anyway folks, that's the news from Lake Wobegone. See you next time.
;)

1 Comments:

At July 17, 2006 11:50 AM , Blogger Seth said...

You are quite a storyteller. I'll bet you could make my life sound exciting!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home