Monday, September 26, 2005

A Monday of Firsts

Ha Ha! My camera is not broken thank god, we just had some miscommunication and my batteries were being silly as well. So yay! Brightened my morning and maybe the blog will get pics now.
My first day at work without Teresa there. So sad. I knew she'd be back tomorrow but she's really fun to have in the office. Plus, she runs it basically and I'm surprised everything didn't fall apart without her. It survived, but for longer than a day - who knows what would happen.
My first child crying in class. He said his head hurt and looked pretty miserable and didn't participate. About an hour later, he started crying. The other kids thought he was sleeping because he put his head in his arms on his desk, and I was glad that they weren't making fun of him. Poor kid. I've had those headaches before, and he gets all the sympathy I got. Even if it wasn't a headache, I've had those days and my sympathy continues. I largely ignored him except for some encouraging or 'i'm sorry' looks unless he had a question or spoke in class.
My first telephone teaching experience. You're supposed to call your children on the telephone and ask them if they have any homework questions, work on their conversation, maybe get them to read you something from their books. I started with D5 because they're older and know more English. A bit dodgy getting to the actual kid - for some reason there's always this person who answers the phone that wants to speak Chinese to you! For the most part I got past those people fairly easily. Guess who's in D5?! That's right, it's Johnny! He's so precious! I asked him if he had memorized his homework and would be ready to recite it tomorrow and he said yes. Then, he got all serious and said "Miss Allison, I have to tell you something. Sometimes, I memorize things, and then later, I forget them." Just priceless, you had to hear the tone of voice.
First time I fell asleep learning Chinese. Good times.
First time I was really determined to read an e-book. Got through the first section - First book on the history of Taiwan I've started.
All my firsts for today. Aren't mondays fun?
Later, ~allie

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home