Monday, June 19, 2006

Rainy Patch in India

To those of you who didn't know, it rains in India. ;)
What you might not know is that it rained this afternoon, cutting short our tour of the sights of Aurangabad. I'm not too sad as I actually leaped out into the downpour to see the "poor man's Taj Mahal", and the other was a watermill (waterfall out of a pipe turning wheel, grinding grain - seen 'em).
India's streets, not originally any great showcase, immediately turned into rivers. Not pretty, clean rivers, but rivers that reminded me of the streets - dirty. In our jeep, we roamed the streets, splashing everything in our path. Like back home, I gave pause to the warnings not to go into running water, not to cross bridges with fast water - even as little as 6 inches. Here, we went through without pause, even at breathtaking speeds and still honking, passing, even as the driver wiped away the inside of the glass. The poor people walking, the people on scooters, the riskshaws, all were subject to the massive spray of our path.
'Twas nice, but at the same time, I continue travel later tonight and I wouldn't want it to still be going. Monsoon season is coming to India. Wish me luck in missing it when I don't want it.
Latest India Index: Thumbs Up.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home