Friday, June 16, 2006

Rollercoaster Continued

As before, my views on India still fluctuate wildly. Today, it became more personal though. I had some moments of victory today, and sadly, some moments of defeat. Freak that I am, the heat of Mumbai was occassionally enjoyed instead of detested. I successfully booked a train ticket to my next destination. I'm toughening slightly I believe - enjoying cold showers, becoming a little more tolerant of the filth, less annoyed by the majority of horns, and adapting to people who plant themselves in front of me demanding I buy something or give them money. I've seen the Arabian Sea. I've seen a beautiful temple that becomes an island at high tide.
I went to the Prince of Wales Museum and spent about 4 hours there, roaming. It goes in chronological order roughly, and the first things I ended up seeing were about 2200 years old. I had to pause and think about that for a moment. The exhibit showing (Eternal Ghandi) distracted me for quite some time. According to some Indians I talked to there, I am sadly lacking in details of Ghandi's life. For the special price foreigners pay (about 300 rupees compared to 10 for Indian nationals), we get a free audio tour. It was one of the most enjoyable things about the museum really. The man who did the guide said some delightful things, with just enough situational humour to make me laugh out loud in a museum. :D The museum even had a nice little cafe there, so I could spend even more time wandering around. Believe me, I had nothing else to do for the day, so there was no rush.
The people there were exceptionally friendly. I'm in the cameras of no less than 6 people who approached me wanting to take a photo with the white girl. The best though I must say was the first of the day, the two brothers. First a picture with one brother, then the other, then someone is pulled over so they can both be in a picture with me. Goodness do I feel special. In the Ghandi exhibit, I toured it with a group of three men, who later got my name, email address, and also told me I was beautiful and one loved me. I bopped him on the head for the last comment with my museum map and he smilingly retreated "A joke! It was a joke!"
At this point, I was thoroughly enjoying India I must say. Unfortunately, then I left the museum.
Implanted into my happiness was just one man, odd how the bastards of the world seem to appear just when you're not prepared. He appeared on my elbow speaking English and asked how I was. Mrr. I don't particularly wish to discuss it right now nor repeat his words, but some men should seriously be castrated. And sexual harrassment charges, verbal or otherwise, I am all for them. Either the guy is a sicko, and people should be warned, or he's an asshole, and people should be warned.
So, yes, India's getting better....and not.

1 Comments:

At June 16, 2006 11:52 AM , Blogger Tony said...

It's amazing how fast you get used to cold showers when traveling.

I really enjoy reading your blog! It's very entertaining and give me a lot of ideas for my next adventures.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home