Sunday, August 06, 2006

Day in Town



We were treated early this morning to two sightings of foxes. They're pretty cute aren't they? Pointy little ears, pointy little noses, big fluffy tails. I want one.
Today was the day of the grand book sale, nothing more assured to make my family pay attention. My father was worried that all the selection would be gone if we waited until after a hike, so today also served as our day in Estes Park to shop, wander, and enjoy.
Straightaway we motored up to the Conference Center and went in to the Friends of the Library Annual Book Sale. It was huge! It took up an enormous room filled with tables and boxes of books and had to have had hundrends of thousands of books there. Good times. We spent the majority of our morning there, wandering through the vast selection, until we had too many books to carry and we started to get hungry. My father was devasted at the outcome and looked worriedly at the car where all of our newly acquired books were supposed to fit. In the end it wasn't a big deal, there was simply a nixing of any footroom for me (not at all a problem as I either sit cross-legged or lay down in the back).
Next to a cute little cafe/restaurant for lunch. I got a cheesy omelet and I have to say it's the best cheesy omelet I've ever had (though admittedly, before Taiwan I didn't eat omelets, the Taiwanese don't quite get the dairy thing, and it's the first omelet I've had back in the States). Still, it was reeeeeeally good.
The rest of the day was spent walking around town, peeking into all the shops, seeing what there was to see. Nobody bought anything, but we enjoyed our day. We were a little tired, and went home after and started to (a little sadly) get our things organized for packing. Tommorow would be our last morning in the cabin, followed by our departure from Colorado. Little Tear.
Currently reading: Cut and Run by Ridley Pearson. It's a thriller, it's thrilling. The only problem I have is that I sometimes believe I have ADHD in the process of reading it. It uses the honored tradition of really short chapters that progress the action and leave you in a constant cliff-hanger mode. I'm ususally immune to the technique and generally quite enjoy it. However, in this case I believe it started too early. Normally a great deal of tension has to be built before and at a critical moment you want to break out the technique of step-by-step action by all major characters in short snippets. He had tension, don't get me wrong, but the two-page chapters started early in the book, and continued throughout. I have a pretty long attention span for things I'm interested in and this was defeating to me. Overused. Otherwise, not bad.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home