Sunday, November 19, 2006

The Days Grow Shorter....

Or daylight hours at least. Some such reason was going to be my excuse for neglecting to update my blog. But really, the guilt is here, and here I am, and no excuse will work. I am sorry if anyone missed my silly updates.

To begin my update, I'll do official things first. I was accepted to both grad schools I applied to, and I have decided to accept my future debt and skip all the way up to New York City to attend Pratt Institute. The application has been a bit messy, faxing things all over the place, visiting the doctor multiple times and getting to pee in a cup and sucked dry of blood - even an exciting skin test for tuberculosis! No, I tested negative, no tuberculosis for me. :) I'm still waiting to do exciting things like register, sign up for health insurace, and apply for loans because I'm not yet fully into the school's system. I'm waiting on their verdict of available housing or no, an anxious endeavor,and browsing apartments online in the meantime. It all has a sneaking possiblity of disastrous outcomes and bureaucratic nightmares, but I'm still quite enjoying it all currently.

I wandered around Texas earlier while I was in that exciting stage of school applications - waiting. It started with the mc chris concert, and that was followed by two weeks in College Station. I met with some old friends (including the coolest half-asian ever!! You rock Huong!) and got to know my host much better. There was much nerdiness involved, gaming, role-plying, Cephid, a gay bar, and even a Rocky Horror showing (yep, I got the big lipstick V). My host had work and school pretty much every day, so I generally rode the bus in with him (until I later stole his key and slept in later) and amused myself in the University library. I averaged about a book a day generally, plus the newspaper and accompanying crossword and sudoku. We spent lots of time goofing around, wandering around, and just being generally good-natured. The combination of two smiley people can make any event or non-event pretty much joyous. I enjoyed my stay in College Station.

After that I make a trip to Waco for a week. The little boy is growing and going full steam ahead, and is just adorable. He now knows my name and uses it on occasion when attempting to play me for favors or in moments of clarity, just for fun. He speaks often, and about 75% is understandable. More is comprehended by his parents than me. I was there for Halloween and we went to the ZooBoo! an event at the Waco Zoo for safe family fun. It was pretty spiffy, especially with the inclusion of Inga, Richard, and their little boys (Inga's one of those smiley people). Andrew was dressed as a bug, and I have to say cute as a button, and he enjoyed the bouncy castle for the under-3 kids for about 30 minutes before we could get him out again. The zoo had turned the aquatic life displays into pirates, the spider displays into spookiness, etc, etc, and they had a trick or treat line with tons of Skittles. Amy and I had a cookie assembly line for the gift bags she was giving to the kids at Andrew's daycare, and I'm proud of the tasty frosted, sprinkled, ghost- pumpkin- and bat-shaped sugar cookies we produced. I spent my days at Amy's reading the assorted ChicLit and romance books scattered around her house until one ending was so incredibly sappy I had to suspend my reading the genre for another 6 months at the minimum.

So, after three weeks loose I came back home to do more necessary grad school stuff. Recently I've also been doing home improvement work with my daddy. It started with the front porch (now tiled, sealed, grouted, and sealed again - with possibly one more seal on the way), and progressed into the hallway (wooden tiles and glue this time). Depending on may things, this job may or may not be done. They're fun, generally messy, and driving Mum nuts because the house isn't perfectly orderly (oh yeah, and the cat ran around in the glue and tracked into and onto everything :D).

Currently I'm trying to think of what I want for Christmas and what I need for New York. Plus going through clothes, studying French and some random Chinese, dreaming craziness, and getting excited about New York!

I will soon try to post the cuteness of my nephew.

Ta!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home